Friday, November 26, 2010

I Heart Pumpkin

http://www.nataliedee.com/archives/2007/Nov/
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, pumpkin spice coffee, pumpkin CUPCAKES! I, along with one of my roommates (who literally eats pumpkin puree out of the can) love pumpkin. I wanted to make something to bring to our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday so I took a shot at pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese icing-yum! They came out perfectly! So perfect that my mom and dad would not stop hovering in the kitchen fighting over who would get the first taste. Unfortunately, I do not have a good camera yet (although I plan on purchasing one very soon!) so I took a few shots of the treats with my phone.

What is your favorite pumpkin confection?


Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
                  2 cups all-purpose flour
                  1 teaspoon baking soda
                  1 teaspoon baking powder
                  1 teaspoon coarse salt
                  1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I added additional at the end by taste.)
                  1 teaspoon ground ginger
                  1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I added additional at the end by taste.)
                  1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
                  1 cup packed brown sugar
                  1 cup granulated sugar
                  1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
                  4 large eggs, lightly beaten
                  1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (I used a 14-ounce can and it was still lovely and pumpkin-y)
Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and the spices. In another bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs. Add dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Then whisk in pumpkin puree.
Line the cupcake pan with liners and fill each about halfway with batter. Bake until tops spring back when touched and a cake tester comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely before icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
                  8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
                  1/2 cup butter, room temperature
                  3 cups icing sugar, sifted  (I only used 2 1/4 cups and it was definitely sweet enough.)
                  1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment